Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Liebster Awards

I've never been one of those people who has a lot of friends.
I don't mean that as an inherently bad thing or a source of pity, it's just a fact. I simply build relationships with people slowly. I like them to be genuine.
However, the friends that I do have and keep have always been pretty fantastic people.

One of the very first people I met upon going to college (actually, possibly the first, after my roommate) was Haley. She is fantastic. You know those people who just make you feel a bit better inside by simply being around them? Yea, she's one of those. Anyway, Haley was important to me because she helped support my adjustment to college life and exploring and trying new things, never making me feel out of place for being the sometimes-awkward freshman, and she continues to be someone that I'm grateful for and enjoy having in my life. (Sorry to sort of wax poetic in a blog post, Haley!)

Among the good things that Haley helped introduce to me was her then-roommate and best friend Caroline, who is doing some pretty cool things (no, but seriously, how great is that?!). Caroline is always incredibly enjoyable to be around as well, and these ladies have been some pretty joyous company and wonderfully inclusive in things like their Galentine's Day party and Haley's wedding (if you only look at one beautiful thing today, make it that one).

This is basically a very long introduction to the fact that Caroline of the fantastic The Old Country Blog, featuring lots of wonderful regional and cultural recipes and tales, has kindly tagged me for a Liebester Award (thanks, Caroline!)...which basically means you get to know a bit more about me. (As the description puts it: "The Liebster Award is for blogs that have 200 followers or less. The word "Liebster" is German for kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, valued, cute, pleasant, endearing and welcome. It's a great opportunity to meet other bloggers and gain more followers.")

How to play along!
  1. Post 11 things about yourself.
  2. Answer the questions the tagger created for you.
  3. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag with the award.
  4. Choose 11 bloggers (with less than 200 followers) to tag. 

Random facts about me:
  1. I am majoring in International Studies and minoring in French and Photography, but I came into college completely undeclared.
  2. I may have a horse named after me in Greece; specifically on the island of Crete. (I studied abroad in Greece and Italy following my freshman year.)
  3. I get pretty motion sick, which is fun for someone who wants to travel. I often get off a plane wanting to never step on one again (while knowing that's completely unrealistic). However, I still love the way things look out of airplane windows.
  4. I've been at least moderately interested in photography since about 5th grade, when I discovered an old Polaroid camera in my grandparent's house.
  5. While I'm not very big on the beach-going experience, I love the ocean.
  6. I prefer milk chocolate to dark.
  7. I'm a little bit addicted to tea. Hot, iced, black, herbal, white, whatever. I probably love it and own a box of something similar to it. I did an inventory this fall and I think I had around 20 types (ahem). The only exception would be mint teas, but I'll still drink them. My all time favorite is probably Tazo's Passion tea, but there are some pretty close competitors.
  8. I have an almost-9-year-old miniature schnauzer  named Blitz(krieg). He usually actively avoids cameras. He's also not very miniature, acts like a permanent puppy, and has a hair that sometimes tucks in such a way that it gives him what we call an "Elvis lip".
  9. I've never liked cheese or milk. I know, I know, this is sacrilege for many people. I just never learned to even moderately enjoy them.
  10. Even though I hate it and usually put it off until the last minute (or maybe because of that), I'm incredibly good at packing. I once fit all of the clothes I owned into one suitcase.
  11. I grew up in a city with a larger population than the state I currently live/go to school in. 
 Caroline's questions:
  1. Book you have read more than once? The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. It's probably my favorite book, and it's what I recommend anytime someone asks me for suggestions. It's just one of those books that I feel like everyone should read at least once in their life.
  2. If you could life anywhere for one year, where would you live? Well, considering I'm leaving in 8 days (when did that happen?!!) for a semester in Wales, I'm going to cheat and expand this by saying the UK. Alternatively, I'd like to try out the Pacific Northwest (so beautiful!), or I think it'd be great to live someplace that you could easily reach a lot of other places from.
  3. Some solid advice you've been given? My first year away from home, my dad kept telling me, "If it's not one thing, it's the other." It was meant as a response to the fact that there was always something hectic going on, but I've also taken it to be a comfort in the permission to let that happen. That it's not something to waste time worrying about. Otherwise, it'd simply be the habits I picked up from my mom: read a lot, ask questions when you wonder, and if you don't know the answer look it up.
  4. Favorite ice cream flavor? I can't really have ice cream anymore, but definitely Bluebell Dutch Chocolate. So simple, so good.
  5. TV show you have watched every episode of twice? That 70's Show. Or Scrubs. But if you haven't seen That 70's Show and spend an extended amount of time around me, you will end up with multiple references.
  6. What song gets you pumped up? She's Got You High by Mumm-ra. I don't listen to it that often otherwise, but it's just really, really fun.
  7. Cats or dogs? Dogs! How can you resist these faces??
  8. If you could befriend a fictional character, who would it be? I honestly have no idea. But it might be entertaining to tag along with the How I Met Your Mother gang.
  9. Ever fallen in love with a fictional character? Who?! Alas, I have not.
  10. Why did you decide to blog? I'm not 100% sure. I think it was a good way to chronicle the things going on in a constantly transitory period of my life and the running narrative my brain kept going. It was suggested by my boyfriend after a couple of particularly crafty and successful culinary weeks, something along the lines of "your life has become like a blog!" and I eventually decided to try it out.
  11. What was your New Year's resolution? I talked about this here. :)
 
 My questions:
I honestly don't have 11 untagged people I follow to choose to play along, but I would love to hear from anyone, blog or no blog, on any of the following questions! So, I guess that means I nominate you all!
  1. Favorite place you've ever been?
  2. What's something that you do to treat yourself?
  3. The best thing that's happened to you today?
  4. What's the last good thing (movie, show, etc.) you watched?
  5. If you could only have one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? One dessert?
  6. What's something you're proud of?
  7. Have you ever flown overseas?
  8. What's one thing you hope to get accomplished this year?
  9. Go-to Starbucks/coffee shop drink?
  10. Favorite type of cookie?
  11. What is one thing that you've learned about life?
Rules for Nominees:
1.  List 11 facts about yourself.
2. Answer the 11 questions given to you.
3. Create 11 new questions for the bloggers you nominate for the award.
4.  Choose 11 bloggers with < 200 followers to nominate.
5. Go to each page and let them know about the award.
6. Thank the sweet blogger who nominated you!  

3 comments:

  1. oh, that was the nicest!! really, really. i'm so happy our paths crossed your freshman year! i miss you, kristen! and...what?! you're leaving so soon! I'm so excited for you. are you flying out of louisiana? if so, maybe we can meet up before you depart? if not, we should be pen pals! i want to hear all the details about your adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you played along! This was such a lovely post and a great pick me up after a long day for me. I am so glad Haley introduced us and I hope you have a fabulous time in Wales - I can't wait to read all about it!!!

    Favorite place you've ever been? Bavaria
    What's something that you do to treat yourself? Chocolate, lounging with magazines, marathon netflix and nail painting
    The best thing that's happened to you today? A lovely dinner with my family at Mona's in New Orleans
    What's the last good thing (movie, show, etc.) you watched? Ugly Betty on Netflix. I don't care what some people say, I love it.
    If you could only have one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? One dessert? Oh gosh - Milka Chocolate. But only in the giant European sized package
    What's something you're proud of? My journalism degree
    Have you ever flown overseas? In 2009 and I am itching to go back
    What's one thing you hope to get accomplished this year? Finding a big girl job
    Go-to Starbucks/coffee shop drink? Hazelnut iced coffee with soy
    Favorite type of cookie? I've never met a cookie I didn't like. Probably snickerdoodle
    What is one thing that you've learned about life? Work hard. But have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, all such great answers! The hazelnut coffee sounds delicious, and I don't even like coffee. I'm so glad Haley introduced us, as well :) Good luck with the job search; I know you'll find something great for you! I hope you're doing well!

      Delete