Monday, January 7, 2013

Spoiled.

I apologize in advance to anyone trying to be healthy this new year. This post will do nothing to help you out.

If you need to leave, I understand.

We have been spoiling ourselves when it comes to food. Pretty majorly, in fact. It started with a bacon chocolate chip pancake (do yourself the favor of having one) and expanded from there.
Specifically to filets twice in one week and what may be the most delicious chocolate dessert I've ever had, much less made. Oops?

round 2 of steaks, featuring Safeway cuts...we made do.
round 1 featuring Whole Foods cuts (definitely superior) didn't get photographed because we were too busy stuffing our faces.
First, the steaks. I love a good steak more than most things on earth, but every time the two of us tried to make one ourselves...well, the results were lackluster. The change? This guide. Seriously, it's incredibly simple yet decisively great. The results are definitely worth more than the effort you put into it. And, the butter they suggest you make (the part that took the most time) lasted us through both rounds of steaks. That's pretty good return if you ask me.

Also, when you're making the butter, you're going to be terrified by the amount of garlic you're putting into it. Don't be afraid. Or, be afraid but go with it anyway. Trust me. We replaced the thyme with rosemary (I can't have thyme) but otherwise followed it more or less to a T. The lemon is heavenly.

my stomach is growling.
Um, yea. I could eat these every night. One food on a desert island? These steaks. Unless that food category included desserts, in which case I would have a hard time deciding between that and this cake. But seriously, guys, try the steaks.


The dessert round of spoiling ourselves was basically 2 boxes of semisweet chocolate. My favorite way to go.

pre-mixing // pre-freeze
After becoming enamoured with P.F. Chang's gluten free Flourless Chocolate Dome and this brand's gluten free chocolate tart that I picked up from my local Whole Foods, I ventured to make one myself. One afternoon, I bought everything I needed, chopped a lot, and made this. It's basically melted chocolate and eggs with melted chocolate on top. I melted mine in the microwave as I lack a double boiler, which worked out fine stopping and stirring every 30 seconds. It won't take long.

out of the freezer and on with the glaze
The reviews will tell you to skip the glaze. Don't. You certainly don't need it as the cake itself is satisfying, but you want the glaze. I essentially followed the recipe with a few exceptions: I added a little less than a teaspoon of cinnamon to the glaze and have found it absolutely perfect. And that part where it suggests refrigerating for 6 hours? Yea, I did not have the patience for that. Instead, I stuck it in the freezer for an hour or two (during which time we prepared and ate the steaks) until it was cooled completely, and then re-froze it for about 15 minutes to let the glaze set. It's been living in the fridge since, calling out every time someone opens the door.

this is totally appropriate for any meal of the day, yes?
If you have the willpower to honestly not want any of that, you are a stronger person than me. I'm thinking of skipping the traditional cake at my wedding if I ever get married and instead just displaying tiers of these on pie stands, later claiming them all for myself. Or maybe I'll just get married to the cake. We've eaten it with strawberries (because that makes it healthy to consume 3 days in a row, right?) and even snuck it into a movie theater, complete with silverware, to join in watching Silver Linings Playbook over the weekend. Yea, I'm pretty much in love.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have one last chocolate chip pancake calling my name...

(p.s. I'm now on instagram!)

1 comment:

  1. You're recipes are divine! This blog is such a fabulous resource for people with allergies. So, I nominated you for a Liebster Award! For details visit http://cgerdes.blogspot.com/!

    Good blogging!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete