Monday, April 8, 2013

Sipping Spring

Last week, everything was gray.

All the news stations told us we were having a dry year. Then, on Easter, the rains came through and sat around for a few days, dropping temperatures intermittently. While the days were cooler than the end of winter, I decided to mix up something decisively befitting warm weather.


I first discovered blood oranges two years ago while studying abroad in Italy during the summer. The hotel we were staying at served a deliciously tangy-sweet, curiously colored juice every morning with breakfast. It took us two weeks (and our professor's rough translating) for us to figure out what it was: blood orange juice. I had never had anything that tasted quite like it and was immediately enamoured (surprising for someone who never liked orange juice).

After failing at tracking down blood orange juice consistently in the U.S. and then cutting oranges out of my diet, I started noticing these beauties being stocked around the supermarkets this spring. After deciding that a few each year won't hurt me (and as they don't seem to bother me as much as my normal orange intolerance does), I've been incorporating them into everything I can think of until they go out of season.


Blood orange lemonade seemed the perfect drink for both spring and an introduction to the summer that nips at its heels: unusual yet classic; easy to mix up; invigorating and refreshing. Plus, the drink that results is a fun grapefruit-pink that I think would make a perfect addition to the showers, barbeques, and crawfish boils this time of year brings.
 

Blood Orange Lemonade
  • 5 large lemons
  • 3 blood oranges
  • approx. 1 c sugar
  • approx. 2 quarts water
Roll the lemons firmly between your palm and a countertop (or other hard surface) to help soften them and allow for easier juicing. Juice lemons and blood oranges, straining out seeds and pulp as necessary or desired. Add the juice to a large pitcher with 1 cup sugar and 2 quarts water (I prefer the water to be lukewarm so the sugar dissolves easily). Depending on the amount of juice your fruit produces and your personal preferences, you may want slightly more or less water and sugar, so feel free to taste as you go. Stir well, and enjoy!


 I hope it's spring where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment