Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Lately

Lately, there has been sunshine. A lot of sunshine. The breed of sunshine that I think only those of us along the Gulf Coast really get.

At a certain point, the grass isn't greener, only a few hardy flowers still bloom, and the summer's fruits start to shrivel up on their vines. 
But it brings big, late sunsets, and lots and lots of light.

 
We bring our exploits inside. 

I've been picking up a new book lately (in place of studying for the GRE), and piecing together the bits of a blanket my first niece or nephew will be wrapped up in come winter. 


I've taken to eating my breakfast cool, but hearty. With as little prep time spent in the kitchen as possible. Without a strict recipe, and without a penchant for oatmeal. With all the ease that a summer morning needs.


Overnight Raw Oatmeal: Muesli

Let me start by saying this is the least strict recipe you will ever encounter. Want to make it vegan? Skip the honey for agave nectar. Or maybe you'd prefer vanilla extract to cinnamon? Dried fruit to fresh? Sounds great to me. Like it thicker or thinner in consistency? Change your milk content. I'm personally looking forward to trying pumpkin seeds in place of nuts this fall. The base is incredibly versatile. Maybe that's why, though I've never liked oatmeal even the slightest bit, I still thoroughly enjoy this. It takes almost no time to prepare, is easy to transport when prepared in a cup or mason jar, and will have you out the door quickly in the morning (but still satisfied come lunchtime). Here's how I like it best (note that all measurements are approximate):
  •  1/2 c gluten-free rolled oats, heaping (I use Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned)
  • slightly less than 1/2 c vanilla almond milk, or your favorite milk/milk alternative
  • approx. 1/4 tsp chia seeds (optional, but good)
  • 1 tsp honey
  • approx. 1/4 c pecan pieces, or one large handful
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • mixed fresh berries
Combine oats and milk alternative in a bowl, glass, or jar with honey and sprinkle with chia seeds. Refrigerate overnight. Note: I like mine pretty thick. If you'd like a more traditional oatmeal texture, keep your oat:milk ratio closer to 1:1. Play with it a bit to figure out what you like!

In the morning, add pecan pieces, cinnamon, and a handful of fresh berries. Mix together, and you are set!
Do you have a favorite combination I should try?

(all photos, except that of the muesli, were taken and edited with my iPhone)

No comments:

Post a Comment