Saturday, August 31, 2013

Hey there, Saturday.

It's been a long week back in this college town. For only having four days of classes, I'm feeling very out of shape, out of practice, and generally out of sorts. The beginning of the semester is rough. And for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to enroll in 18 hours, including my thesis--what?! So, you can imagine my arms are wide open towards the long weekend ahead that I'm shamelessly extending with a trip to DC, a good concert, and lots of food and Parks and Rec with that boyfriend of mine. And did I mention sleep? Lots of sleep.


I was tagged by the lovely Haley and Caroline to play along with their "six things in six minutes" questions...so I'd figure I'd embrace this embrace this excuse for blogging without using my own waning brain power. ;)

As to not play favorites and avoid spamming you all with 12 things-you-didn't-really-need-to-know about me, I figured I would alternate between the two ladies: odd numbers from Caroline, even from Haley!

1. If you were an ice cream flavor, what would you be? You cannot imagine how brokenhearted I was upon discovering that Bluebell's Dutch Chocolate, the ice cream I grew up on, is not gluten free. I know. Thankfully I've been able to find some good dairy- and gluten-free substitutes, but I still tend to fall along the same vein: I'm a chocolate girl, through and through. And those flavors that are chocolate with the addition of other chocolates (like chunks and ribbons and maybe some hazelnuts or pecans)? Yea, that's probably what I'd be. I feel like most of my traits can be explained from the core of me...they just manifest themselves in little twists and differences.

2. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? Like Caroline, probably "you know?" or "you know what I mean?" Growing up (and even now), I often felt like I had an older soul than the people around me, so I think I tend to stick these on the end of sentences to make sure I feel like I'm actually being understood in the way intended. Otherwise it'd probably be "if that sounds okay with you?"...I guess I have a bit of an insecurity about coming across too strongly! (I could probably bear to cut that one out.)

3. Current Netflix binge? Okay! I feel like I'm at a place where I've seen most of the good things I would typically think I was interested in seeing that are available on Netflix--so people, send me your recs!!! However, not-on-Netflix I've been making my way through both seasons of Smash for the first time, which I am close to done with, and I maaaay have started re-re-watching the first season of New Girl again this morning...oops.

4. What is your most treasured possession? A ring that I wear every day that was made out of my mother's wedding ring by a dear family friend. I feel naked without it, and would definitely be the most bereaved if I lost it.

5. What is something you learned the hard way? Oh gosh, I could probably answer this a lot of ways, but I'm going to stick with something my dad told me repeatedly my first year of college that has proven to be incredibly true: "If it's not one thing, it's another." Just like I don't think there's any purely "easy" relationship (romantic or otherwise...it takes work to be connected in people's lives!), I don't know that there's any such thing as an "easy" season of your life. There are certainly ones that are better than others, but I think there's always going to be something present challenging you. And that doesn't have to be bad once you come to terms with it.

6. What is your motto? Ahhh! I don't know that I truly have a "motto," but there are probably two quotes that I kind of keep in my mind that resonate with me: "Learn to love your ground," from an old Mumford & Sons song...I actually have this painted on my bedroom wall as a reminder to actively learn to love where you are in your life. The second is kind of the opposite, a reminder to dream: "Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?" which is from a Mary Oliver poem. (But otherwise, I'm kind of a hoarder of reminders.)

Thank you for the tag, ladies (and thanks to anyone who actually made it all the way through)! I would create my own questions for others to answer, but I'm feeling just a bit too sleep deprived to function.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a plane to catch (and pack for)...and about a hundred naps to catch up on.

No comments:

Post a Comment